Cupping therapy is an ancient Chinese therapy in which a glass cup is applied to the skin and the pressure in the cup is reduced by suction in order to draw and hold skin and superficial muscles inside the cup. Sometimes, while the suction is active, the cup is moved, causing the skin and muscle to be pulled. The cups are carefully sterilized after each use, to ensure cleanliness is maintained.
Cupping therapy may help:
- release and lift rigid soft tissue and fascia
- reduce muscle soreness
- activate the lymphatic system
- promote blood circulation
- facilitate deep tissue repair
- increase the body’s ability to heal
- reduce fatigue and stress
As with any technique, Dr. Levi will discuss with you their reasons for choosing any type of treatment technique or modality and their anticipated results. If you have any questions about whether massage cupping could work for you, please ask Dr. Levi during your next visit.